Monday, June 20, 2016

SiteLock & EIG & UnitedWeb

Been reading a lot on SiteLock and the shitty experiences people have been having so I started doing some digging.

Found some interesting data that I wasn't able to find anywhere else...

- SiteLock is owned and Operated by United Web: http://www.unitedweb.com/ << known information

- The CEO of United Web is: Tomas Gorny

Mr Gorny has a long history with hosting. He was the co-founder of iPower, formerly iPowerWeb, Inc). He sold iPower to EIG sometime in 2007. He seems to be an advisor to EIG. He was also a Director at EIG. From what we can see, he's still a Director on the board. << well this is interesting..

- The CEO of Endurance International Group (EIG) is: Hari Ravichandran

Mr Ravichandran also has a very long history with hosting, and an incredible story at that. From nothing to something in the past 20 years, kudos to him! But it seems through a relationship forged over time Mr Gorny and Ravichandran have found a way to screw us over when it comes to security for our websites. << Let's learn more

Here is an interesting snippet of information pulled form the EIG 2015 FY / Q1 filings:


Ninth, in our S1 and in subsequent public filings we have clearly stated the nature and extent of related party transactions. As disclosed in our SEC filings, my family owns Tregaron Holdings, and its related companies, Diya, Glowtouch Technologies, and Touchweb. In addition to providing services to other companies, these businesses provide some of our brands with subscriber support and engineering assistance. In FY2014, Endurance had $10.4 million in expenses related to purchasing services from these companies. These relationships started over a decade ago when Endurance was still a fledgling company. As shown by the disclosures in our public filings, the economic value of this relationship has been decreasing as a percentage of Endurance revenues as we have built our own support and engineering capabilities. We have also disclosed a second related party relationship between Endurance and Innovative Business Services (IBS). Endurance offers Sitelock, a security product for SMBs developed by IBS, across its brands under a revenue share arrangement. One of our board members, Tomas Gorny and I are shareholders in IBS. Revenue share payments to IBS related to Sitelock totaled $5.4 million in FY14. The revenue share between Endurance and IBS for Sitelock has been set at 55%/45% in favor of Endurance. 
 In case you missed it, SiteLock, which is owned by UnitedWeb, is also owned by Innovative Business Service (IBS) (eek.. where does UnitedWeb fit in?) which through a relationship with EIG has monopolized the website security space within hosts. Did you notice how both Hari and Tomas are both shareholders in IBS, whom which EIG has the relationship with? Is it any surprise they are employing shady tactics to trick us into buying their services?

This report is from 2015 talking to 2014, so let's see what we can find for 2015...

What do we have here.. the 2015 Annual report: http://ir.endurance.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1193125-16-485478&CIK=1237746













Here we see an adjustment in their financials for 2013 and 2014, but beyond that you can see that EIG paid IBS (SiteLock's Parent Company) an estimated $6,300,000 million for what they call their multi-layered third-party security applications. Described here:

The Company also has agreements with Innovative Business Services, LLC, (“IBS”), which provides multi-layered third-party security applications that are sold by the Company. IBS is indirectly majority owned by the Company’s chief executive officer and a director of the Company, each of whom are also stockholders of the Company. During the year ended December 31, 2014, the Company’s principal agreement with this entity was amended which resulted in the accounting treatment of expenses being recorded against revenue.
During 2013 the Company expanded the services provided by IBS under the agreements across all of its entities. The Company inadvertently excluded the expenses related to the expanded relationship with IBS from related party disclosures for 2013 and 2014. For the year ended December 31, 2013, the Company previously reported cost of services related to the IBS services of $3.0 million, which is revised to $3.9 million in providing prior period comparative amounts in the footnote to the consolidated financial statements for the year ended December 31, 2015.
So what this shows us is that SiteLock is essentially owned by EIG, specifically their CEO, indirectly. So the companies have a vested interest to push whatever product will make their bosses the most money!!

Here is another mind f*****... SiteLock just partnered with GoDaddy too... so this means that GoDaddy will be paying SiteLock some sum (they are now public so we should get some good intel on this in the coming months) which will go into Hari's pocket as well... you little bugger..

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morpheus,

    Thank you for sharing your story. I have just entered the begining of this craziness as well. I am getting scammed by EIG and UnitedWeb and it is time to unite and do something about this.

    Here is some of my story.

    I have been with hostgator for over 10 years. Never had a problem until about a month or two ago. I started getting dozens of emails from Sitelock as a new "partner" of hostgators, and then after 10 years I suddenly started having phishing content on a few of my websites.

    I have an unlimited domain and subdomain account, with over 300 websites that I oversee. Instead of just taking down the website in question, they suspended all 300 of my websites, and made it extreamily difficult to get my sites back up even when all the phishing content was removed. But then just a few weeks later with no notification, they are telling me that my sites are permanently suspended until I get a 3rd party verification from sitelock, or "equevelent" which they say will cost me $5,000-$10,000 minimum.

    My contract with them is only for $144 per year, and they are forcing me into buying something that is 80,000% more expensive. THis is a total scam.

    I never had any problems with any of myebsites until I started getting all these emails from sitelock about website security, and then BAM! suddenly I have phishing content on my website that I didn't put there. Hostgator gave 3rd party access to my websites without my permission, and in my understanding the only people who should be able to have access to my servers are hostgator and myself. Yet somehow there are these new files. I only had one or two websites that had this new phishing content, but I change all the ftp passwords and other umbrella passwords, yet still they were able to come upload new files. Then hostgator says that it is my fault that they couldn't keep their server secure when they are the ones leting 3rd parties involved, and then their 3rd party "partners" are trying to charge me $10,000's for a product that is only worth about $100. This is CRAZY and it is a total scam!

    We need to unite and set up a class action lawsuite or something. Also I don't know what to do. I can't get my websites back up and re-activated, and I don't know where else to go, but it looks like I won't be doing service with hostgator anymore unless the change their act VERY Quickly.

    Please contact me - Jay jay@unity.moe 415-323-5833

    ReplyDelete