Monday, June 20, 2016

SiteLock Shady Tactics via HostGator

I was screwed over by SiteLock one too many times not to help promote and share these experiences.. please be aware. SiteLock is a company built on sales, not security. Their sales teams use shitty tactics to trick us into buying their product in turn screwing us over. Here is another story of such a case shared on: http://sitelock.pissedconsumer.com/beware-of-this-company-and-of-any-hosting-company-it-partners-with-20160619868340.html
I’ve been running a profitable online business for over ten years and have used Hostgator to host most of my many websites. A few weeks ago, Hostgator sent around an email announcing its partnership with a website security firm called Sitelock. Within about a week of that email, I got an email from Sitelock telling me that one of my sites had some malicious code on it that should be removed. They were very persistent and followed up with a phone call. I called them back (my first mistake) and here’s what happened…
Their rep explained to me that the malicious code would have to be removed or Google would probably block access to my page before long. So they enrolled me in a $49/month site protection program called “True Shield” that was supposed to keep my sites permanently safe from hacking. And I have been hacked before, so I know it’s no fun and can cost a lot in lost business. They promised this site would be cleaned up within hours. Besides, they were endorsed by the web hosting company I trusted (note the use of the past tense), so I was happy.
The very next morning, as I went to another of my sites to get a photo I needed, I found myself staring at a dark screen that said “Website Security” in big letters and was asking me to click a big red button. Then I checked out a number of my other commercial websites and to my horror they were all blocked in a similar way. “Strange,” I thought. “Maybe Sitelock is doing some clean up work.” So I called them…
The next rep I talked to told me that all these sites had been hacked and said I would have to enroll in an even higher level of service to get this taken care of, at $99 per month. AND... I would have to pay that much per month PER SITE! She was really pushy so I told her I’d get back to her. The next step was to find out more about Sitelock and I found a very large number of online reviews roundly condemning it as a total scam. What really struck me, however, was something else:
• Several reviewers describing exactly what I had just experienced
• The same sequence of events – a minor problem, sell into a low-level package, suddenly a much worse problem, attempt to Upsell
• That Sitelock has partnered with a number of hosting providers and it’s the same story across the board
• That some reviewers claim they can prove that the hacks against their sites actually came from Sitelock itself!
The evidence would suggest that Sitelock may well be exploiting the databases of their business partners (Clearly, Hostgator had shared my data and presumably access to my sites with Sitelock without my explicit permission and, where I live, that’s a criminal offence in itself).
Needless to say, I’m giving Sitelock the boot – its absurd prices, its strong-arm tactics and the more than suspicious sequence of events reported by many of its numerous victims are all reasons to avoid it like the plague.
And, naturally, I’ll be pulling all my sites off Hostgator immediately unless they a) fix the problem – which they so far seem unwilling to do – and b) terminate their association with Sitelock. All of this will be costly and time-consuming, but worth it in the end.
Bottom line: for your own sake, avoid Sitelock altogether and avoid Hostgator until they terminate their association with Sitelock and compensate its victims.

2 comments:

  1. Where to go then? WE need a verified good hosting provider that provides the same services as hostgator???

    ReplyDelete
  2. HostGator Coupons : Get Maximum Discounts Updated 2019. Are You looking for Hostgator Coupons that provide maximum discount on share hosting Vps and Dedicated Hosting? Then This Page is dedicated for You. When you are hosting your website on server host, you will need a good technical and other support from your hosting provider. This is where hostgator is the best.They have award-winning customer support team to provide you full assistance 24/7.They provides their customer support through Chat, Email and Phone. I always loved their live chat support where i got my hosting issues solved immediately! Hostgator Coupons

    ReplyDelete